“Bush’s Fourth Term Continues”: Guantanamo, Torture, Secret Renditions; Indefinite Detention

By Adam Hudson, Truthout | News Analysis –

gitmo 2

Part of a legal defense team walk at Camp Justice, part of the legal complex of the US Military Commissions, at Guantanamo Bay US Naval Base, in Cuba, Thursday, June 5, 2008. (Photo: Brennan Linsley, Pool via The New York Times)

New drama rocks the Guantanamo military commissions. The potential release of the Senate Intelligence Committee’s report on the CIA torture program could influence the commissions’ future and will bring previously unknown details about the torture program to the public. Meanwhile, the Supreme Court rejected a constitutional challenge to indefinite detention.

Currently, 154 men remain held in Guantanamo. Of those, 78 are cleared for released and around four dozen are designated by the Obama administration for indefinite detention because they are considered too difficult to prosecute – due to inadmissible, insufficient, or torture-obtained evidence – and too dangerous to release. Indefinite detention without charge or trial violates international human rights law. However, President Obama has embraced the practice of indefinite detention for Guantanamo detainees ever since stepping into office in 2009. His plan to close Guantanamo amounts to shifting the system of indefinite detention elsewhere. The Obama administration’s legal team recently told Congress that if Guantanamo detainees were relocated to a prison in the United States, they would have no right to asylum or repatriation on US soil.

Three men who were on the indefinite detainee list were recently taken off by a parole board and are now cleared for release – Mahmud Mujahid, a 34-year-old Yemeni, and Ali Ahmad al-Razihi, also a 34-year-old Yemeni;  and Ghaleb Nassar al-Bihani, a 35-year-old Yemeni. That same parole board upheld the indefinite detention status of another Yemeni man, Abdel Malik al-Rahabi, meaning he will remain in Guantanamo indefinitely.

President Jose Mujica of Uruguay recently announced he would welcome up to six prisoners from the Guantanamo prison to his country, as long as the United States agreed that they would live freely. “We are never going to be the jailor for the United States,” he told the Wall Street Journal. “But we are prepared to take in the people over there and allow them to live in our country, like any citizen.” Meanwhile, the Yemeni government, via presidential decree, is looking into building a rehabilitation center for Islamic militants, which could speed up the return of Yemeni Guantanamo detainees to their country. Of those cleared for release, 56 are Yemenis.

read more….. http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/24030-bushs-fourth-term-continues-guantanamo-torture-secret-renditions-indefinite-detention

Reprinted with permission

Maxwells Attic