Ivanka Trump Brand Responds to Nordstrom: Success is About ‘Integrity,’ Not Just ‘Profits’

by Jessica Goldstein – #GrabYourWallet is the new “grab them by the…” well, you know. In the aftermath of reports that Nordstrom would no longer sell Ivanka Trump’s clothing line due to falling sales — which may well have taken a hit due to the #GrabYourWallet campaign, which encourages those who oppose President Trump’s policies to boycott all Trump businesses — Ivanka’s brand has issued a response. The original news, broken by Racked on Thursday, was that Nordstrom planned to drop all Ivanka Trump branded wares from its shelves. Nordstrom did not cite politics in its statement, instead chalking up the decision solely to the brand’s lousy performance. (Nordstrom did not speculate, in its comment, as to why the brand was performing so poorly.) A company spokesperson told Racked, “We’ve said all along we make buying decisions based on performance,” and that of the “thousands of brands — more than 2,000 offered on the site alone,” approximately 10...

Read More...


6 Mobile Apps for Sustainable and Ethical Food Shopping

By Katie Levans, EcoWatch – Since 1990, mandatory nutrition fact labeling on packaged food products in the U.S. has made it easier for consumers to shop for foods based on dietary restrictions and nutritional requirements. But just because a food bears a healthy nutrition label doesn’t mean it was ethically or sustainably produced. Currently, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Organic label is the gold standard for identifying foods that preserve natural resources and biodiversity, support animal health and welfare, and do not use genetically modified ingredients. But with three different USDA Organic label designations and another 19 third-party organic labels, discerning what’s what is confusing for consumers. And while nearly 75 percent of grocery stores are stocked with organic products, organic foods made up just more than 4 percent of total food sales in the U.S. in 2012, leaving consumers with questions about how to decode what went into the other 96 percent of products that...

Read More...


Opening On Thanksgiving Backfires For Retail Stores

by IGOR VOLSKY – Retailers that open their doors on Thanksgiving Day in hopes of boosting holiday sales are shifting purchases away from Black Friday, rather than increasing the number of overall transactions. According to an initial reading of data from consumer analytics firm ShopperTrak, “combined sales on Thanksgiving and Black Friday fell 0.5 percent from the same period last year,” the New York Times notes. The data shows that sales increased 27.3 percent on Thanksgiving Day, but fell by 5.6 percent on Black Friday. A different survey from IBM also found that online shopping was up 14.3 percent on Thanksgiving Day from the same time last year. “People are changing their behavior,” said Bill Martin, ShopperTrak’s co-founder. “We’ve seen this for two years in a row now. Stores opening on Thanksgiving are simply eroding sales from Black Friday.” Some stores decided to stay closed on Thanksgiving Day in order...

Read More...