The Sunday Funnies & Factoids
by Keith Lennox, All-len-All –
Happy Sunday everyone and Happy Memorial Day weekend to my friends south of the 49th, or as we call it up here ‘You Lucky Bastages Day’ weekend. Just kidding… not envious at all….. grrrr…. grumble. Enjoy not working on Monday… grilling on the BBQ, drinking beer, frivolity…. that’s okay, we don’t really like doing any of that up here…. we’re not bitter…. not a bit of it…… not even a little…. nope, not bitter at all. Well, now that I have cleared that up, it’s on with this weeks installment of the Sunday Funnies and Factoids….. so do enjoy them with your grilled fare and favorite beverage…. not the least bit envious, just so you know.
1) Spitting in public was socially acceptable in China for five millennia, but due to fears over the spread of SARS in 2003, it has become punishable by fine (and even possible eviction) in several major cities.
2) The 3 Musketeers bar was originally split into three pieces with three different flavors: vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. When the other flavors became harder to come by during WWII, 3 Musketeers went all chocolate.
3) Before joining the NBA, Wilt Chamberlain played one season for the Harlem Globetrotters. He was the first member of the team to have his jersey (#13) retired.
4) Syd Barrett got the name Pink Floyd from two American blues musicians, Pink Anderson and Floyd Council.
5) Only 17 existing paintings are attributed to famed artist Leonardo da Vinci.
6) 11 hidden messages in company logos:
7) The lowest batting average to win a batting title was .301 by Carl Yastrzemski in 1968.
8) In 2009, researchers at Newcastle University’s Centre for Life said that eating a bacon sandwich can help cure a hangover. YESSSSS !!!!
9) Pamela Anderson Lee is Canada’s Centennial Baby, recognized as being the first baby born on the centennial anniversary of Canada’s confederation as a nation. Yaaaaawwwwwwn….. sorry.
10) A newlywed couple moves into their new house. One day the husband comes home from work and his wife says, “Honey, you know, in the upstairs bathroom one of the pipes is leaking, could you fix it?” The husband says, “What do I look like, Mr. Plumber?”
A few days go by, and he comes home from work and his wife says, “Honey, the car won’t start. I think it needs a new battery. Could you change it for me?” He says: “What do I look like, Mr. Goodwrench?”
Another few days go by, and it’s raining pretty hard. The wife finds a leak in the roof. She says, “Honey, there’s a leak on the roof! Can you please fix it?” He says, “What do I look like, Bob Vila?”
The next day the husband comes home, and the roof is fixed. So is the plumbing. So is the car. He asks his wife what happened. “Oh, I had a handyman come in and fix them,” she says. “Great! How much is that going to cost me?” he snarls. Wife says: “Nothing. He said he’d do it for free if I either baked him a cake or slept with him.” “Uh, well, what kind of cake did you make?” asks the husband. “What do I look like,” she says, “Betty Crocker?”
11) A guy is sitting at home when he hears a knock at the door. He opens the door and sees a snail on the porch. He picks up the snail and throws it as far as he can.
Three years later, there’s a knock on the door. He opens it and sees the same snail. The snail says “What the fuck was that all about?”
Thanks for stopping by and have a great holiday Monday and a safe and happy week. Please, if you get a chance this week…. pay it forward to someone who could use a small kindness.
source: Mental Floss