The Sunday Funnies & Factoids – The ‘It’s Schizophrenic Outside’ Edition
by Keith Lennox, All-len-All, 01/18/15 –
Nice to see you. Thanks for stopping in. Schizophrenic weather in the great white north….. either snowing or cold enough to make an ice cube embarrassed. Ahhhh, such is my lot I suppose. Thankfully, I get to spend time indoors tanning by the glow of my laptop screen….. as George Carlin once said, “Us Irish don’t go to the beach to tan, we’re just trying to neutralize the blue.”
So, on that note, on with the show…… enjoy.
2) No one born blind has ever developed schizophrenia….. well, that is soooo great for blind folks…. I guess…..
3) Located within Italy, San Marino is the world’s oldest republic (301 A.D.) and holds the world’s oldest continuous constitution.
4) U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson had an amphibious car and used to scare his guests by driving into a lake, screaming about a brake failure.
5) 1 in 50 priests are pedophiles, according to Pope Francis.
6) For 214 years until 2012, it was illegal in Paris, France, for women to wear trousers.
8) The atomic bomb explosion at Hiroshima was generated by matter weighing no more than a paper clip.
9) A Pakistani squash player won 555 consecutive matches over 5 years and 8 months, the biggest winning streak in sports.
10) Brazil was the only independent South American country to send ground troops to fight in WWII, with over 25,000 soldiers.
12) The death penalty was outlawed in the UK partly because a man was wrongfully executed for the murder of his wife and daughter in 1950. The murders were actually committed by infamous serial killer, John Christie.
13) svangerskabsforebyggende middel is a Danish word for “condom.”
14) 123 – 45 – 67 + 89 = 100.
123 + 4 – 5 + 67 – 89 = 100.
123 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 7 + 8 – 9 = 100.
1 + 23 – 4 + 5 + 6 + 78 – 9 = 100.
16) No one knows who invented the fire hydrant because its patent was burned in a fire.
17) In 2010, the Catholic Church had an income of US$97 billion.
18) It’s impossible to sneeze while sleeping.
19) The average salary in Cuba in 2013 was 471 pesos or US$20 a month.
21) Walt Disney was so poor in his twenties, he had to eat dog food……. so fucking what… what college/university student hasn’t had a delectable three-course meal that consisted of a joint, a beer, and a chunky can of Alpo…..
22) The early recordings made by Motown singers were produced in a studio in a converted house on West Grand Boulevard in Detroit, across from the Henry Ford Hospital. Echo effects were produced by having the singers perform under a large hole cut in the ceiling, leading to a drywalled attic “echo chamber.”
23) The Canary Islands are actually not named for canaries, but for dogs. This is because a large population of wild dogs were found on the island (and the Latin root for dog is canaria).
24) Chewing Gum Helps Brain Activity
All these years after your teacher took away your candy in school, a growing pile of evidence suggests that gum chewing actually improves concentration. A 2013 study published in The British Journal of Psychology showed that people complete memory exercises quicker and more accurately while they’re chewing gum. The positive effect was particularly noticeable as laborious tasks dragged on. (It’s because chewing may increase the flow of oxygen and glucose to the brain.) Other studies have credited gum chewing with reducing stress and improving test performance–leaving us to wonder why Hubba Bubba hasn’t come out with an SAT flavor yet.
So there you have it, boys and girls. The latest edition of The Sunday Funnies & Factoids. Hope you learned something or, at the very least, chuckled.
Thanks for being here. Your visits are greatly appreciated. Hope to see you next week, same time, same website.