The Sunday Funnies & Factoids, The ‘Not a Single Mention of the Duggars’ Edition
by Keith Lennox, All-len-All, 05/24/15 –
Happy Sunday, one and all. Thanks for stopping by for your weekly dose of trivia and chuckles. I hope this weekend finds you all well.
Please, just sit back and peruse my latest entries into The Sunday Funnies & Factoids.
1) India is expected to be the world’s most populous country by 2050. With 1.6 billion people, it will almost equal the U.S. and China’s population combined.
3) Noah and Emma were the most popular names in the U.S. for boys and girls respectively in 2014.
4) Fossil evidence suggests that fish have been on Earth for about 530 million years.
5) In 1989, an innocent man was punished with the death penalty in Texas because the jury confused him for another with the same name, looks and height
6) During the Holocaust, a Jewish woman exposed up to 3,000 hiding Jews to the Gestapo to save her family. Even after the Nazis sent her parents and husband to Auschwitz anyway in 1943, she continued to work for the Gestapo until 1945.
7) Bald Eagles are so named because “balde”is an Old English word meaning “white.”
8) The Salema Porgy is a species of fish that can cause hallucinations when eaten. In Ancient Rome it was consumed as a recreational drug.
9) A 14th-century medieval tower rises out of Lake Reschensee, in Italy. It’s the only visible building of a submerged village.
11) In 1600, a volcano eruption in Peru triggered a famine that killed about 2 million people in Russia.
12) The blue whale can produce the loudest sound of any animal. At 188 decibels, the noise can be detected over 800 km (500 mi) away.
13) The underwater portion of Liberty Island, where the Statue of Liberty sits upon, is part of New Jersey , not New York.
14) Nowhere in the Bible does it say there were three wise men, just three gifts.
15) In the early years of the 20th century,horses were causing so much pollution with their poop that cars were seen as the”green” alternative.
17) Swedish scientist Svante Arrhenius was the first to claim that fossil fuel combustion may eventually result in enhanced global warming already in 1896.
18) If Earth’s history were condensed into 24 hours, life would’ve appeared at 4am, land plants at 10:24pm, dinosaur extinction at 11:41pm and human history would’ve began at 11:58:43pm.
20) There is a prison in Bolivia where inmates rent their own cells, can live with their families, charge tourists for tours and at one point produced almost all the cocaine in Bolivia.
21) The Berlin Wall was torn down by mistakenly-empowered citizens after an East German spokesman misspoke at a press conference and mentioned immediate border crossing privileges for every citizen.
22) Nomophobia is the fear of being without your mobile phone or losing your signal.
23) There’s an empty place next to Muhammad’s Tomb, Islam’s main Prophet, reserved for Jesus.
24) It costs US$8,876 per year to own and maintain an average car in the U.S. That’s US$443,800 in 50 years.
25) After the Treaty of Versailles, French Marshal Ferdinand Foch said “This is not a peace. It is an armistice for twenty years.” Exactly 20 years and 65 days later, WWII broke out.
Okay, boys and girls, that’s it for this week….. I have a sun-filled deck and a cooler full of beer with my name on it waiting for me.
Have a great Sunday and until next week, stay safe, happy, and healthy.